Monday, September 13, 2010

the one about turning tables

This has been a week full of surprises. Well, ok, only two surprises, but they're both pretty dang cool.

First surprising night: We went on a 2.5 day exchange with the other elders so they could attend a leadership training meeting. It was me and another elder who only has two months in the country. We were street contacting, and I tried to talk to a mother and daughter, but they just kind of blew us off. I don't take anything personal, but I was getting tired of it, so I suggested we walk to a different location. The other elder agreed, but suggested we take a slightly different route. Lo and behold, we ran into one of their lost investigators! He seemed happy to see us and said his phone ran out of money and that's why the other elders couldn't contact him. We set up a meeting for 7pm that night and we were super stoked about it. Sadly, the time of the appointment came and went, and he didn't show. We did some more finding, then right before we went in for the night, I realized we needed more ketchup for my breakfast. On the way back from the store, I decided I wanted some grilled corn from one of the numerous corn people around the city. We went to one and it took us a while to realize it, but the guy who ditched us was right there getting some corn, too! We talked to him and he said he had work, but would come to church for sure. That was a fun night.

A few nights later we actually got a hold of the investigator who had a baptismal date but who'd been missing for about two weeks. We set up an appointment and waited about 15 minutes after he was supposed to show, but he didn't. Right as we were leaving he showed up! I'm glad we waited as long as we did; the Lord was keeping us there a little longer for a reason. Turns out he's been reading the Book of Mormon pretty consistently, and he's been praying a lot. One cool thing is that he said he got an answer when he prayed that he should stick with this church and these missionaries, which is awesome, because before, he sometimes got confused as to which church was ours and which ones weren't. We've moved his baptismal date back, but it looks like it's still happening.

I love this work, and I know the Lord is helping it along all the time.

Elder Weaver

No comments:

Post a Comment